Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Years Eve

And so here I am in Melbourne for New Years Eve. Who would have thought a year ago as I was sitting in a little beach cabin in the Queen Charlotte Islands in northern British Columbia that my next New Years Eve would be spent on the flip side of the planet. Life.

So, just a quick post to check in and say 'hello'. I'm finding it hard to make time to write while I'm here... for one thing, I didn't bring my laptop with me so I'm on my friend's computer... for another, I don't feel overly inspired to write. Things are happening, but I feel like I need time to process them before I can say too much. I will say that it's a much different holiday than I thought I might be having.

My impression so far is that Melbourne is a friendly, friendly place. The people here are lovely. Before coming here, I thought Canadians were completely warm and wonderful, but Australians make us seem like (specific cultural reference deleted because I've got to live there, afterall).

Yesterday we went on a Yarra Valley wine tour. Very nice. I've never tasted bacon in my wine before and honestly, I have to say that there is no going back. Now, if I can just find a wine that tastes of avacado and tomato I may never eat solid food again.

A couple days ago we went to the Dandenong Ranges for lunch and a little hike. A flock of Rosella birds landed all over me as I fed them chips -- this before reading the 'please don't feed our animals potato chips because they are getting fat' sign. Never mind. We all enjoyed our potato chip party very much. Also, I saw my first Kookaburra. He was seriously cute -- he looked like he was wearing a little sweater. And yes, it was sitting in an old gum tree.

Other than that, there has been much visiting with Robin's friends as well as lots of retail. Honestly I can't take much more retail.

Oh! I almost forgot! Remember the annoying low-level hum in my apartment that has been driving me mad, mad, mad??? Well, by a shockingly improbable coincidence, Robin has exactly the same low-level hum in her apartment!

Actually, as you've probably already guessed: Neither I nor Robin has a low-level hum in our apartments. Rather, I have tinnitus.

This makes me sad.

Also, it makes me cringe when I think about dragging my poor landlord into my place at midnight and how annoyed I was that he wouldn't admit that he could hear the humming.

There doesn't seem to be any cure for it... but optimistically, I certain it can be cured. Anyone got any treatment suggestions?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Penless. So glad you are enjoying my homeland. But God - why Melbourne!

10:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sterling silver estate jewelry has also shared it's time in the fashion industry these days is the black-and-white look. Hardly the most challenging item to design, they look like something a tween could customise with a glue gun, some cheap lycra and a portfolio of Miley Cyrus paparazzi snaps.

Take a look at my page Ao so mi nu

11:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home